Why Should I Track My Form in Google Analytics
Learn why tracking your form via our Google Analytics plugin is important for evaluating form performance.
Ever wish you could learn more about your form users? You don’t need fancy form tracking software—all you need is Formstack! Our plugin allows you to add the power of Google Analytics to any form.
Benefits of Using Analytics on Your Website
How might you optimize your form—and your website—if you knew more about potential customers? Tracking your form allows you to learn more about your users. For example:
- Where do your users come from on the web?
- How long are people on your site?
- Which keywords and search terms are leading to more form traffic?
- What do users do on your site?
- How much time do they spend overall and on which pages?
Each piece of data is like a little clue that reveals:
- Who your customer is
- What they want
- Where they live
- When they visited
- Why they left
How do I Enable Google Analytics on my Form?
Tracking form submissions with Google Analytics is easy. Log in to your Formstack account and choose the form to which you’d like to add the plugin. Go to the Settings tab > Plugins > Google Analytics and click
Next, enter your Google Tracking ID. You can find it in your Google Analytics account (under the admin channel). Once the plugin has been added, all submission activity going forward will be tracked. To review it, simply log into your Google Analytics account.
Note: The plugin supports Google Universal Analytics. If you have not yet migrated your Google Analytics account to Universal Analytics, you will need to do so before using the plugin. You can find instructions at the Universal Analytics Upgrade Center in Google Analytics.
How to Track Form Data in Google Analytics
Once you’ve enabled form tracking, you can review form activity and data in your Google Analytics account. Google Analytics can record anything from page views to button clicks. Formstack automatically creates these events on your form when you enable the plugin.
To find event tracking in your Google Analytics account, look at the left sidebar. Go to Behavior > Events > Overview. Google Analytics events are tagged with three attributes: Category, Action, and Label.
1. Category indicates which Formstack form is being tracked.
The category will read as
Formstack Form followed by the unique form ID. To find the unique ID of your form, go to the Settings tab of your form in your Formstack account. The ID number will appear in the URL bar.
2. Actions are specific actions that will be recorded on the form page.
The events tracked include view, incomplete, submit, navigation, and validation (additional details are below).
3. Labels give more detailed descriptions of the actions that occur on a page.
- View: when the form is viewed by a user
- Resume: when the form is resumed from a save-and-resume link
- Save: when the form is saved using the save-and-resume link
- Submit: when the form is submitted
- Next page: when the user clicked the ‘next page’ button
- Previous page: when the user clicked the ‘previous page’ button
- Error: when a validation error occurs
What Should I Do with the Data I Collect?
You may find that a lot of users save your form but never return to finish it. Maybe users are getting to page 2 but not page 3, where you would like them to submit. You might see a high number of views but a low number of submissions.
Form data helps you to understand where you might improve your form. Analyze your data to determine how you might streamline the form submission process for your users. That way, you can create the best form that captures the most submissions.