If you build a lot of forms using Formstack, you have probably noticed that many of your forms require similar sections. Wouldn’t it be great if you could save them for use in other forms, rather than reinventing the wheel each time? By using Formstack’s Saved Sections and Saved Lists features, you can save yourself boatloads of time. In fact, we should have just named them “Saved Time” instead!
These features allow you to create consistent forms no matter who requests or builds them. Let’s take a look at how saving sections and lists can work for you.
What are Saved Sections and Saved Lists?
The Saved Sections and Saved Lists features make it easy for you to save portions of a form that you want to reuse. For example, you may consistently ask for the same contact information on a form: name, email, phone, etc. With Saved Sections, you can create it once and use it on any other form with a simple drag and drop. Saved Lists allow you to save and reuse a list of dropdown, radio, or checkbox buttons. These are helpful when you want to replicate a series of certain choices, such as a range of responses from “Very Satisfied” to “Very Unsatisfied.”
Where Can I Use Saved Sections or Saved Lists in My Forms?
Consider these ideas to help you use these features in your own forms:
- Instructions. You may have the set of same instructions for several forms. Now you can write it once, save the section, and use it again so your instructions are worded correctly and consistently.
- Contact information. If you frequently require the same contact info, make it a saved section. Or create a few customized sections for different uses—one for name/email/address/phone and one for just name and email.
- Payment and billing information. Create a saved section for your payment and billing requirements, so you can use it over and over.
- Satisfaction ratings. Feedback surveys are great, and you can save a list of ratings—whether 1-10, boo to yay, or frowny face to happy face—to save you the time of reentering your satisfaction scale.
- Applications. From job applications to scholarships, chances are you have some form fields that everyone needs to fill out. Save them to keep your applications consistent and easier to build.
- Locations. If you frequently allow users the choice between buildings, campuses, or rooms, create a saved Dropdown List.
- File upload section with instructions. Even simple instructions can be a hassle to re-type. By including brief instructions with a file upload option, you can have a reusable section that is clear and consistent.
- Sizes (S/M/L/XL/XXL). If you deal with T-shirt sizes or other sized merchandise, saving options to a list can keep the form building process moving along.
We know that building forms with Formstack is already fast, but we wanted to make it even faster. Contact our Support team if you need any help getting started with Saved Sections or Saved Lists!