This guest post is by Bradford Shimp, a marketing analyst at Batchbook. Bradford thrives on helping small businesses by providing them with helpful information through Batchbook’s site and blog. He also contributes to the company’s social media presence and customer newsletters.
The holidays are a great time to show your appreciation for your customers. At Batchbook, a social CRM for small businesses, we think it is important to connect with customers in a personal way. We are always on the lookout for new ideas to try. Here are some we’ve come across that will work well for saying thank you to your customers this holiday season:
1. Send them a holiday card. This is a true classic, which never gets old. Spice your cards up with a funny company photo (ie. your team wearing ugly Christmas sweaters) or a note that explains how important your customers are to you.
2. Sing to them. Caroling is a fun tradition, and while you can’t go door to door to all of your customers, you can record a video of your employees singing a silly holiday song. Include the video in a nice holiday email and put it up on your social media accounts.
3. Bake them some cookies. If you have a storefront, offer free homemade cookies and milk during the holiday rush. This will help your customers feel right at home in your store.
4. Send a branded gift. Put your logo on something memorable or meaningful. Everyone does calendars and pens, so find something that will stand out. Last year at Batchbook, we gave out Moleskine notebooks with our logo on them.
5. Share your appreciation socially. Write up a short blog post about why you appreciate your customers and post it to your social networks. Follow up by thanking specific people on Twitter and Facebook.
6. Send a Yummy Treat! If you are going to give a gift to some of your favorite customers, it is hard to go wrong with something sweet. If you have a local bakery that is famous for their cupcakes (or donut cake) ask them to make something unique for you to send to your customers.
7. Throw a party. Spend some time with your favorite customers this holiday season. Throw a party with all of the traditional holiday treats and games. It will give you a chance to spend some quality time with great customers and will make them feel more loved than ever!
8. Email a gift card. A gift card to a well known place like Starbucks or Amazon can be a great way to say thank you to customers. These can be sent via email or in your Christmas cards.
9. Provide VIP treatment. Showing appreciation shouldn’t be all about making sales, but if you have regular customers, a really special discount or a shopping event that is only open to them (ie. after hours) can really make loyal customers feel appreciated.
10. Give the gift of giving. Maybe the best way to appreciate your customers is to do something charitable in their name. Many charities will let you make a donation in someone’s name, and you can mail a nice certificate to let your customers know.
11. Re-Gift. Don’t literally give a gift you got last year. Instead, if you have a customer who makes cool things, buy your gifts from them to give to your other customers. Include a note about where the gift came from.
What does your company do to show appreciation during the holidays? Let us know in the comments below!